Thursday, May 3, 2012

To Love or To Judge...That is the Question


In a lot of ways, I could say it doesn’t matter. My “job” doesn’t depend on one outcome or the other. But my heart…my faith…yeah, it matters.

On Thursday, May 3, at General Conference in Tampa, Florida, an amendment was offered to a petition that has appeared at at least the last 2 General Conferences…and likely extends further back than that. It is a petition to change the language in our Book of Discipline and our Social Principles with regards to our view on homosexuality.

Yes, it is a highly-charged, much conflicted issue. We have a handful of Scripture passages from an ancient society on one hand…and a whole lot of interpretation of teachings on love and acceptance on the other. (Already you can see my bias. I admit it.)

Here’s my stance. God doesn’t need me to judge. Our Scriptures even tell us not to judge, that that is God’s role not ours. Period. God, in both the Hebrew Scriptures (it made the Top Ten!) and the New Testament, calls me to love. Love God, love my neighbor, love myself. I figure (my interpretation) that I am called to simply love and not judge.

However, the UMC, through the Book of Discipline and Social Principles states something along the lines of homosexuality being incompatible with God’s will.

I just don’t know that to be true. Yes, I know there are passages of scripture that support this. Just as I know there are passages that warn against judging and call each one of us to love each other.

I’m not God (thank God – and you should, too!). I leave all these details in God’s hands. Instead, I rely on the mandate that I am called to love. Not question. Not interrogate. Not sit as judge and jury for the Almighty. I have one purpose and that is to love all that God has created.

My very first funeral to officiate occurred when I was a candidate for ordained ministry in the UMC. It was for a friend who died of complications from AIDS. Yes, he was gay. He was in a monogamous relationship for many years. Before he died, he was on hospice care and I spent a great deal of time with him, his partner, and their friends. Initially, I was greeted with animosity and distrust from his friends, as many of them had been turned away from the church – whatever denomination. The stories they shared of their experiences were simply heartbreaking. We have no right to treat one another that way.

This “issue” – if you want to call it that – will come up again, at General Conference 2016, I have no doubt. Isn’t it time for us to stop worrying about what God thinks about homosexuality and start focusing on what God might think about our selective love?

You don’t have to agree with me. But I think you do have to figure out for yourself what God means, what Christ means, when you and I are called to love unconditionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment