Saturday, August 28, 2010

Eastbound and down, loaded up and truckin!

Today, I finally got to do something I've been wanting to do since I was a fairly young child...I got to ride in the tractor (cab?) of an 18-wheeler! I think I was the only one of my childhood girlfriends to have a handful of Hot Wheels 18-wheeler rigs mixed in with my Barbies and baby dolls. 

Granted, as a kid, I want to be the driver -- I mean, how cool would that be, right? -- but I was tickled pink to just get to ride along. And, yeah, with age (maturity, experience?) comes that sense of fear that accompanies the realization of our limitations. Perhaps I could drive a rig forward, in a sparsely populated, wide open space...then again, I'm fairly sure truck driving will not be a future vocation for me. It's just not nearly as easy as Jerry Reed made it look in Smokey and the Bandit...

I'm just amazed when I experience such out-of-the-blue moments...those times when, in the middle of our everyday living, like an unexpected surprising gift, God graces us with a blessing. That's how my adventure today felt...like a blessing all wrapped up as a silly gift of joy.

Thank you, Phillip! Thank you for letting God use you to provide the means for us to pick-up our newly acquired playground set...but also for giving me a surprising and memorable gift. 

2 comments: