Saturday, September 25, 2010

High-School Reunion via Facebook

It's been like a high school reunion on facebook this week...and it's so interesting the way that works. One person finds someone, then their friends - who are also mutual friends of said high school buddy - "friends" them and then their friends...and so on and so on. It's an amazing and strange way for us to connect, re-connect, and socialize.

I'm pretty sure I've become a facebook junkie. It started out innocently enough. First, I wanted to connect with church members and keep up with things going on in their lives (at least those things we publish for the world to see). Then, it expanded to ministry peers and then family (sorry, family but it took awhile to get you all on here!) and then out from there.

But now, all these friends from back in the day show up and it's just...fascinating. No need to ask what someone does for a living -- we can get that on your info page. No need to wonder what someone looks like -- chances are there a handful of pictures for us to browse. Even if your profile picture is really a grandchild or beloved pet or favorite sports team logo.

Except, well...we really don't know each other any more. For my particular group of high school buddies, we're getting awfully close to that 30-year reunion mark. Surely something has happened in your life since then, something beyond what you can capture in a photo or express in your profile, right? I'm going to guess that there were even times when life just wasn't all that great, that things happened and left you scarred and broken...if only for a while. I'm fairly certain you've moved beyond living for Friday and Saturday night dances with the Drifters...

I wonder what you see when you go through my profile and my pictures, when you look over my posts and scan through my likes and links and friends. How do you fill in that almost 30-year gap? (I should say this is a rhetorical question...I'm not really sure I want the answers!).

Looking back, I am amazed at all the people that have moved in and out of my life. It's a bit sad to think of those who we lose touch with, for whatever reason...where are they and, more importantly, are they ok? We don't get the answers to that last question through renewed acquaintances on facebook...no, the temptation is to write in our own fairy-tale story for our long-lost-suddenly-found friends.

As much as I appreciate and enjoy re-connecting with my high school buddies, I would much rather go beyond the surface depictions. So, new-found friends, how are you really? Is there anything I can do for you? Because, I gotta tell you, these past 30 years have taught me quite a bit about how much we truly need folks to care and walk with us through the ups and the downs. I'd like to have you around for mine...and I'd like to be there for yours.

I'm so glad we're "friends" again...so...umm...now what?

No comments:

Post a Comment