Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Pffffftttt on negative voices


Occasionally – or more often than I like to admit – I find myself dealing with things I thought I had already dealt with…but I guess some things are like laundry, never really finished. I don’t think it’s just me, either. Too many conversations give me reason to believe it’s a pretty widespread thing.

Once again, I find myself realizing how much I have listened to negative voices and allowed those voices to dictate how I see myself. Not sure what I mean? I’m talking about the people in our lives who have influence over us and either tell us up front or slyly communicate that we are less than their expectations.

My dad reads this so I feel compelled to point out that I am not referring to my family. I’ve been blessed with parents, children, and a sister and brother-in-law who do everything they can to tell me how wonderful I am. Even when I’m not.

There are many others in our lives, though, who wield influence over us. We want them to approve and be satisfied with who we are…or maybe even be more than satisfied. Delighted would be nice. To be fair, I probably interpret things incorrectly. But not always.

God has typically used irony and humor to get through to me…and such was the case with this revelation today. God sent an unexpected messenger to affirm my shaky understandings. As I walked my walk-deprived dog this evening, I began to realize how God used this messenger to clear out some of the fog in my vision.

  • I’m not perfect…I’m too human. And…I’m ok with that because it means I can still grow and learn and become. The growing and learning and becoming that has already happened has value, too. I’m so much more than I used to be and not nearly what I will become. That's exciting, not negative.
  • My gut isn’t always right but it is mostly trustworthy. Especially when I am aware and responsive to what my gut is telling me. If you get a gut-check from someone else, then you’re even more likely to be on the right path. Just sayin…
  • And finally…negative voices do not add value. Sure, there are tons of things most of us probably need to “work on,” but, for the most part, we aren’t nearly as lowly as some would have us believe. God made each one of us uniquely and purposefully…God does not screw up. We all have value…even those whose native tongue is Negative.

For now, I am freed of these voices. Even if I do still have laundry to do…

3 comments:

  1. I say "Bless their hearts..."

    No one expects perfection, except delusional types who see themselves as perfect. The reason so many of us say you are wonderful is because of the blessing you are in our lives! I can't tell you how much I enjoy talking to you, listening to your sermons, or just chatting online. You are a treasure to me. I'm just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless their hearts, indeed - lol!

    Thank you...I feel the same way about you. Love you very muchly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Say, most reverendcoonskinnedfriend---I have heard that were we to have the opportunity to throw all our problems - challenges - shortcomings. Whathaveyou... into one giant heap --- we would, each of us, scramble just as fast as we could to reclaim our own, lest we get stuck with those of our fellows
    ;-)

    I tell myself this on a VERY regular basis ....

    Nice entry. Good to be reminded that God has reasons for every challenge we face -- the ones we overcome as well as those we get to face repeatedly because we refuse to let go and do it his way ...

    Thanks most reverendcoonskinnedfriend!

    Your OLD pal turdi ziplock ;-)

    ReplyDelete