Saturday, April 21, 2012

It Is a Small World...after all

There’s a ride at Disneyland (that would be the California one…) designed for smaller children that plays an unforgettable song. I’m guessing you know which one I’m talking about. I think it was the only ride my oldest actually enjoyed when I took him there a few months before he turned 4. Mickey Mouse really is a 6-ft giant rat when you’re still a little person…

Since moving to Georgetown almost a year ago, I have had all kinds of “It’s a Small World” experiences. I’ve run into former neighbors from Victoria. One of our church members is the daughter of my second-grade teacher from Victoria. And then there are all these other connections.

One member has a son who serves as a neighboring County Commissioner and a family friend knows him…another member ran for representative back when Victoria and Williamson County were in the same district and campaigned in Victoria (they know some of the people I know of…let’s just say we didn’t run in the same circles).

Today, though, I went to visit a member in an Austin hospital. Another one of those “It’s a Small World” things because a former uncle (translation: the ex’s uncle) was in the same hospital. This uncle and his wife (it gets confusing so just play along) were absolutely the kindest people. And, oh my, could he barbecue! He ran a catering business for a long time, even catered my wedding.

I stopped to visit, re-introduced myself (he had had major surgery the day before) and we chatted for a few minutes. He told me he missed me and to tell the boys hello for him. I have no idea where those goofy tears came from…but, wow, that meant so much to me.

And so I am reminded that we do indeed live in a very small world. God allows us to connect in so many interesting ways. While I may have preferred to avoid some of those “growing experiences,” I am so grateful for the people I have encountered, the ones who have touched my life in such meaningful ways.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like when you saw Mike at AUMC 14 years ago!

    Jamie Pugh

    ReplyDelete