Monday, May 21, 2012

House: The End


Hoisted on my own petard! Or…be careful what you say because it can come back to bite you…

I’m pretty sure there must be something “off” within me, something that makes me mourn a completely made-up, make-believe work of entertainment fiction coming to an end. For the past 8 years, Hugh Laurie has entertained us as Dr. House, the “everyone lies,” pain-pill popping, pain in the butt, arrogant physician on the television series, “House.”

I’ve watched it off and on for a few years. Over the last two years, though, this has been the ONLY show I watch and something I share with my youngest son. Even when he was off at school or I had meetings, it was dvr’d and we caught up. Together.

Maybe what I miss is knowing that we had that in common. Maybe what I miss is watching the recorded shows and him telling me when not to watch. And then, when I could watch again. Maybe what I miss is the drama, the arrogance, the philosophy and the psychology of all the characters, including the guests who had the misfortune of strange illnesses that could only be solved after numerous attempts and a final “a-ha!” moment by Greg House.

But my “petard” (what on earth is that, anyway?) is that I have long been an advocate of change. Yet, here I am, annoyed and disappointed that change has invaded my peaceful existence. Change has impacted my life and bled over into my relationship with my son.

Or not. If I could handle being all grown up for a minute, I might recognize the gift of this show and the connection it gave me with my son. If I could act like an adult, I might celebrate and give thanks for two years of normalcy in a period of marked instability.

Change can be incredibly good. I know this because I have lived through it. I’ve even lived through good change that I did not initiate. So, my grown-up, adult voice wants to say thank you for a great run, a great opportunity to share something (even something as banal as a television series) with a child I care so deeply for….while my inner child would love to throw a tantrum and say, “No! I’m not ready for this to end!”

And it ends with Guy Lombardo…

Enjoy yourself, it’s later than you think
Enjoy yourself, while you’re still in the pink
The years go by, as quickly as a wink
Enjoy yourself, it’s later than you think

Allll-rightey then. Bring on the change. I’ll enjoy myself and trust that this change will lead to something else I don’t necessarily want to let go of…

1 comment:

  1. Well said. Jason and I watched "Lost" that way, together.

    Jamie P.

    ReplyDelete