Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Lent Eve (hey, we have Christmas Eve so why not?)


Two months ago, we were celebrating the birth of Christ and now we are about to enter that somber season of Lent as we journey towards his death and resurrection in Jerusalem. Depending on who you listen to, his ministry lasted anywhere from 1-3 years and, yet, we can only deal with it for a few months…but I digress…

Lent is such a strange season to me. Growing up in South Texas, in a region with a strong Catholic influence, Lent was the time of year when my friends gave up Cokes, chips, and chocolate, along with meat on Fridays. I do remember, with fondness, the cheese enchiladas our school cafeterias served every Friday. But this whole “giving up” concept was strange to me.

It would be later, when I got older, that I would begin to see the benefit of this “giving up” concept. Eventually, I came to understand that, by giving up something you enjoyed, something that was at least marginally painful to give up, the sensation of desiring the forbidden was an invitation to recall the sacrifice of Christ and thereby stand in some kind of solidarity with him. For those of us who struggle with self-denial, this can be a good thing…to a point.

Then, I discovered that there are loopholes! Sundays, apparently, don’t count during Lent. Sundays, on this side of the cross, are always celebrated as “little Easters” – that is, days for recalling the resurrection of Christ. Days of joy not to be messed with by doing without that heavenly bit of dark chocolate. In other words, on Sundays, you can gorge or fill yourself on whatever it was you gave up during the previous six days of the week.

I have to say, as I think this through, this sounds more like a game than any kind of intentional effort towards becoming more…well, more. I’m old enough now that I’m not so interested in these kinds of games. I get that there are no special rewards for having suffered through 40 days without Godiva. Or whatever. I get that most of us won’t be adamant that our suffering during this time be included in our obituaries or engraved on our tombstone.  So what is the point?

That’s a really personal question. I don’t know where you are in the story of your life, so I can’t answer for you. Is your relationship with God everything you expect it to be? Is there this sense of something missing deep within? Are you so caught up in just trying to breathe that Lent can come and go without you? Lots of ways you may respond to this…so, no, I don’t have YOUR answer.

For me? I’m at a place in my life where I want to add more, rather than take away. No, that isn’t a cop-out so I don’t have to do without my chocolate or wine or whatever. Instead, for me, this season of Lent will be geared towards living intentionally as a child of God. As much as I’d like to fuss that we have to wait for a strange season on the Christian calendar, I won’t. I’ll simply take advantage of this strange time and make a few additions to my life. So…

I will commit to a daily blog (I’m sorry if this places you in a position of whining over something else to read; feel free to skip it). I’m looking at it as a way for me to be intentional about reflecting on what it means for me to live as a child of God…including the ways I fail and fall short. It’s an adding in rather than a taking away, one that I hope will lead me deeper in my relationship with God and, in turn, deepen in my relationship with each of you.

Pray for me. Encourage me. Hold me accountable.

If you have determined your focus for Lent, let me know and I’ll do the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment