Thursday, March 6, 2014

Splitting the difference


So, I’m driving into the parking lot of the hospital, down in Round Rock, and I see this speed limit sign posted. Yes, I literally did a double take – and no, I am not proficient in Photoshop. Of course, I had to take a picture and then I started wondering about how that decision was made…
Can you just imagine being on the hospital parking lot speed limit committee? Can you imagine taking this to the Board of Trustees (or whoever the authoritative body is for such matters)? I can see it…um…we were undecided. Half of us felt like 15 mph was appropriate and half of us deemed 20 mph an acceptable speed. After much debate, we split the difference and agreed on 17 mph.

I confess that I did look at my German-engineered speedometer and tried to figure out where the tick mark for 17 mph would be…and then I did the 10% math trying to compute my safe speed above that, on the off chance I felt the need to go faster, but within the legal limits. Mostly, I just laughed and thought about how accustomed we have become to certain kinds of numbers in our lives.
Generally speaking, posted speed limit signs are in multiples of 5 (I know, duh, Yvonne). But think also about pricing – it’s almost always in multiples of 5 or ending in 9. The lunch special is $6.99 or $7.50 or $7.95. The house down the street is listed at $209,995. I never see anything advertised for $7.23 or $18.42 or some other “oddish” number.

Reminded me of a story a non-blonde friend told me years ago about getting a ticket on one of the state highways during her first trip to Texas. She saw a sign that said “77” so she drove 77…on state highway 77 and got to meet one of our state patrol officers. Most of us just aren’t used to something this different (unless we’re from out-of-state, perhaps – I can’t speak for all the signs beyond Texas).
So, this sign stood out to me. Different, as in this case, can be funny but, in other circumstances, it can be very challenging. Change is hard…well, change that affects us is hard. It can also be very good.

I’m still trying to live into who I am as God’s child. Some days are easier than others. Then, some days, I encounter something unexpected, something different, and really have to wrestle with my response, with why I responded the way I did. In addition to the odd sign, I had an encounter with someone today that really has me pondering my comfort zone. To go a bit deeper, it has me wondering what is going on in me that has me struggling in this relationship. Taking a deep look like that into ourselves is on par with dealing with difficult change. It is hard. And, it can be very good.
As God’s child, I get that I am going to spend the rest of my life growing into who I was created to be. Growth means change. I know I will mess up many times. I will resist. I will act foolishly or impulsively or emotionally. But, I’m trying and I am grateful for the signs that call me to re-adjust. So, maybe I just split the difference for now and see where it takes me…

No comments:

Post a Comment