Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Live Into Your Belovedness


Once upon a time, I recall hearing a communication rule that went something like you have to hear something 7 times before it sinks in or before it becomes knowledge for you. I have no idea where I learned it nor do I know who determined such a thing to be true…but, I am willing to agree that repetition helps us remember and store ideas, concepts, information, etc.

It started last week, on Ash Wednesday. Following our service (held at our church but with all four UMCs here in Georgetown involved in the service), we clergy types stood around at the end of the service, following the benediction. It’s always sweet to hear the accolades – nice service, lovely worship, etc – and our congregation is especially gracious in offering such words of kindness. One couple came up to me, each of them hugged me and, during the hug, both of them separately said to me, “live into your belovedness.” It was such a surprisingly different sentiment that it kind of knocked me back a minute. I remember thinking, wow, I want to hold on to that thought and just sit with that idea for awhile.

Before long, though, I got busy saying goodnight to others, writing up my blog for day one of the Lenten journey, dealing with things at home. Later, I tried to remember what they had said and couldn’t be exactly sure I heard them right. Two times is apparently not enough for it to stick with me.

Then, this past Sunday, I was standing my post, shaking hands at the end of the service at one of the exterior doors, and here they come. Again, they both tell me in the middle of a hug, “live into your belovedness.” But that was at the early service and I had an appointment between services, needed to get my microphone checked, and then lead the 11am contemporary service. And we had lost an hour of sleep. These are my excuses and I stand by them. So, no, four times is also not enough for something to stick with me…even something I find intriguing.

Lo, and behold, I got an email this morning from the mister in this couple…and there it was again. This time, he phrased it : as I’ve been telling you lately, I hope you are spending some time during this Lenten season “living into your “belovedness.”

I’ve read it several times now. I think I’ve surpassed the 7 times mark as the phrase simply keeps cropping up in my mind. Am I living into my belovedness? What does that look like? For me, at least tonight, I’m hearing an invitation to not just rest in God’s love but to live as one who knows herself to be God’s beloved child.

I’d like to say that gives me permission to not worry too much about what you or anyone else may think of me. And, I guess, it does to a degree. But…living into my belovedness seems to be inviting me to something more…something to do with how that sense of belovedness empowers me in my relationships with others. To love more…to extend grace and mercy and forgiveness and kindness more.

I’m not always good at that. In fact, I fall short quite a bit. So, I’m thankful I’ve encountered this at least 7 times now. I hope it sticks. And I hope I can get unstuck as I seek to do as I’ve been invited to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment