Friday, March 21, 2014

Logs and Specks


With the death of Westboro Baptist’s lead figure, Fred Phelps, yesterday, I really expected to see a great deal more of a response on facebook than I did. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised that so few felt the need to comment and that those who did, did so in a rather graceful way. Your newsfeed may have been different from mine – obviously we all have a diverse group of “friends” – but I was really grateful for the lack of snarkiness that could have easily been offered in the wake of his death.

For as much as he was about marketing hate, he was a very tortured man. I can’t imagine what it would be like to constantly be about the business of encouraging and mobilizing people to exhibit and vocalize their hatred of other groups of people. As one person shared on facebook, I pray he has found the peace in death that eluded him so much in life.

I have come to know a great many people, especially as they journey through crises or challenges. It’s one of the most sacred aspects of my job, this entrée into the lives of others. It strikes me that we have enough in our own lives to deal with without making something that another group is involved with a primary focus for us…and, yet, we do this so we can ignore our own stuff, if only for a little while. We are such strange, strange creatures. It’s that whole “take out the log in your eye before you remove the speck from your neighbor’s eye” message Jesus tried to teach us. We just have such a hard time choosing to deal with our stuff first.

So, I pray that Fred Phelps finds peace. I pray that those who followed him can let go of the banner of hatred they have carried so long and find peace as well. I also pray that I will have the strength to deal with my stuff and give you the freedom to deal with your own stuff at your own pace…

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment