Monday, March 10, 2014

Being Blessed

Not long ago, a friend sent me a link to a blog/article that talked about how Christians should stop using the word “blessed.” I referenced it in my sermons this past Sunday and have had some interesting conversations around our use of this word. Here’s the link if you want to read it: The One Thing Christians Should Stop Saying


The gist of it is that stating we are blessed because we have received some sort of material gain says something about God that I don’t think many of us actually believe. Or, I hope we don’t. The author believes this evokes an image of God bestowing “cash and cars” on believers as a kind of positive reinforcement for good behavior. Perhaps some do believe this, but I do not understand this to be the character of God. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to me for so many of God’s devout children to be living on so little, even when they are doing “the right things” and also think that God doles out BMWs to others. Now, the gift of a new (or gently used car) to someone enabling them to have transportation for themselves and their family – different story. That’s closer to a blessing.


See, I think it’s the gift aspect that helps determine if something is truly a blessing or an attempt to cover up our pride of purchase by using the language of faith. It’s more than just a gift, though…it’s a gift that speaks deep within us and tells us that we are loved, cared for, and worthy. That, I think,  is what makes it a blessing. We are blessed when we receive that experience of undeserved love – from God, from family, from friends, from strangers.  


I think we’ve taken the language of blessing and turned it into a means of uttering thanksgiving. And, in so doing, I think we’ve robbed ourselves of the distinction that separates these two acts. I can give thanks for many things – for the ability to have a roof over my head, a car to drive, healthy children, an interesting and rewarding vocation – the list goes on, and YES, I am very thankful for these things. But these are not blessings.


Blessings are God-gifts. Blessings are the unexpected steps on holy ground that surround us with the sure and certain knowledge that God is present, God loves us, and God is and always will be faithful to God’s promises to us. Oftentimes God does this through other people.


Not too long ago, I got to feeling sick and decided it would be best for me to go home and crawl into bed. I had to cancel a meeting that afternoon with a couple of very understanding ladies from my church. Within a couple of hours, my dog was letting me know that someone had either come to the door (I always know when the mail carrier has been to my house) or someone had dared to walk near our house.  She was adamant in her barking that I should investigate. And, there, on the front door step, was a grocery store tote filled with a container of homemade soup, crackers, and dessert. The food was wonderful. But the love and the care and the fact that I had done nothing to earn this (it wasn’t payback or a return favor) – that love and concern were the blessing. This was a gift of God’s grace and love delivered through someone willing to be one of God’s instruments. I was blessed.


I don’t want to advocate for the end of the use of the word, “blessed.” But, I do want to encourage us to use it appropriately. Be “thankful” for stuff. Be “happy” about material things. Let’s reserve our use of “blessed” for those experiences that remind us of God’s deep, unconditional love for us. May God bless you with such an experience.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment